Rhiza Press is calling for Adult Fiction Submissions from 1 March 2014.
What we are looking for:
Rhiza Press publishes books for new adult and adult readership in two different lists.
Novellas – works of 35,000 – 55,000 words. Aimed at those who love to read, but have only limited time in which to do so. Primarily romances or drama for female readers.
Novels – works of 60,000 – 110,000 words for male and/or female readers. All audiences, family friendly stories.
General comments on fiction style submissions:
Books should NOT be first draft when they are submitted. Multiple submissions of the same manuscript because you realise you made typographical errors will not be considered.
Books may have multiple points of view, but points of view should not be broken with head hopping in the middle of a scene. We prefer titles that are not written in omniscient point of view. First or third person and past or present tense is the author's choice.
Books should be action driven with the principles of 'show-don't-tell' utilised. Books should be real, relatable and strong in plot.
Please watch out for attributions and adverbs that are overused or used in a way that distract the reader.
We recommend all authors get their work appraised or edited or both (perhaps more than once) before submission. Please include these professional appraisals in your submission including the name of your editor. If we contract your book, it will then go through further editing and proofreading before publication.
If you are an Australian author writing fiction we sincerely suggest you read other Australian authors so you know the style of writing in Australia. Check them out and ensure your book is unique.
To submit a manuscript:
- A personal CV/resume relating specifically to the field of writing.
- A full synopsis
- A minimum of four chapters of the book, at least three must be the start of the book.
- Your full return details (name, address) which must also be included on the pages of your manuscript.
- Your manuscript must be page numbered.
- If you have not completed the manuscript when you submit a timeline of when you are submitting
- Feedback from any editors you have worked with is welcome
For email submissions, follow these guidelines:
IMPORTANT: all information and attachments are to be sent in a single email only with a total maximum size of 2MB – if that is not possible, then you should submit via post instead. Emails that do not comply with these requirements will be automatically deleted.
A cover letter in the body of the email that includes well researched information on how your manuscript compares with other books on the market, and with other books Rhiza Press has already published.
An automatic response will be generated if your submission is received safely.
For postal submissions, follow these guidelines:
- A return envelope with enough postage to cover the return of your manuscript (prepaid envelopes or parcels are best). Submissions without this will not receive consideration and will be destroyed.
- Post submissions to: Rhiza Press, PO Box 1519, Capalaba QLD 4157
For specific details on other genre requirements visit the submissions page.