Rhiza Press is calling for biography submissions from 1 March 2014.
What we are looking for:
Our autobiographies and biographies consist of the stories of modern and past missionaries, or inspirational stories of ordinary people overcoming difficult circumstances. We prefer dramatised biographies where the stories read more like fiction rather than works of non-fiction, engage the reader in the ups and downs of life's circumstances for the person of interest rather than the author simply citing the story.
As a result please consider the rules for biographies as similar to fiction:
- Consider point of view, characterization of your lead and other characters and the way you share the journey whether in first person style if telling your own story or third person when reciting the story about someone else.
- Try to use the show don't tell principles.
- Don't over dramatise or take liberties that are more extreme than you would expect likely to be in character.
Other things to consider when writing a biography:
- Research characters as much as possible.
- Always gain permission for all cited references or quotes prior to submission.
- Please read the article 'Writing a Biography' by author and editor Lynne Stringer.
- Please follow our basic submission guidelines on how to submit for this list.
To submit a manuscript:
- A personal CV/resume relating specifically to the field of writing.
- A full synopsis
- A minimum of four chapters of the book, at least three must be the start of the book.
- Your full return details (name, address) which must also be included on the pages of your manuscript.
- Your manuscript must be page numbered.
- If you have not completed the manuscript when you submit a timeline of when you are submitting
- Feedback from any editors you have worked with is welcome
For email submissions, follow these guidelines:
IMPORTANT: all information and attachments are to be sent in a single email only with a total maximum size of 2MB – if that is not possible, then you should submit via post instead. Emails that do not comply with these requirements will be automatically deleted.
A cover letter in the body of the email that includes well researched information on how your manuscript compares with other books on the market, and with other books Rhiza Press has already published. An automatic response will be generated if your submission is received safely.
For postal submissions, follow these guidelines:
- A return envelope with enough postage to cover the return of your manuscript (prepaid envelopes or parcels are best). Submissions without this will not receive consideration and will be destroyed.
- Post submissions to: Rhiza Press, PO Box 1519, Capalaba QLD 4157
For specific details on other genre requirements visit the submissions page.